Winters are ordinarily terribly cold. Because of this, many persons opt to spend much of their time indoors. In order to keep warm, and to enable the room interiors to be as habitable as possible, heaters are by all means necessary. A popular choice for many people is the electric fireplace.
For a start, an electric fireplace is simply an electric heater which is designed in such a way as to mimic the traditional fireplace. It is designed to appear as if it is burning coal, natural gas or wood. It is however powered by electricity as opposed to those sources of energy mentioned.
Best Selling Electric Fireplaces
- 【Attractive and Practical Design】 60"L x 18.11"H x3.89 "W,The thickness of the new style is only 3.85 inch while the old one is 6 inch. And it opearates the same as the old one. Also we redesign the location of main power and power cable, which makes the new fireplace more attractive and practical.
- 【MULTI OPERATING MODES】: Touch screen and remote control;12 flame & LED flame bed color modes;5 flame speed modes;5 flame brightness levels; Specially automatic flame design(the flame color and brightness changed
- 【ENERGY SAVINGS】: 750W & 1500W modes can be adjusted accordingly for both warm and energy saving purpose. The supplemental zone heating is for up to 400 square feet.
- Designed with front-facing heating element for in-wall installation
- Beautiful electric flames for true fireplace appearance
- Five brightness settings
- Overall dimensions: Width: 35 1/25" x Height: 26 99/100" x Depth: 8 39/50". For more dimension details, please refer to "User Manual" in "Technical Specification" section.
- 3 flame settings with variable intensity and brightness can be used with or without heat all year long; 100% energy saving LED technology. A sleek look with three-sided interior brick wall and clean glass front trim design, without the hassle of cleaning dust or ashes.
- Life-like resin log which is 11 13/16" high sitting on the grate above ember bed, that's just what a wood burning fireplace looks like.
- ELECTRIC SPACE HEATER –Produces and distributes radiant heat quickly, quietly and efficiently up to 400 square feet. A remote control separately adjusts the thermostat, timer, logs and life like flames creating a warm and cozy ambiance.
- FEATURES - Six fixed, bookcase style shelves readily display and store items and mantel supports a flat panel TV that measures up to 68.25 inches wide overall with a base measuring up to 40 inches wide. Ivory finish combines with a floral design for soft traditional style
- ENERGY EFFICIENT & SAFE – 1500 watt, 120v energy saving space heater. Safe self-regulating electric fireplace has protective glass that remains cool to the touch. The remote control come equipped a child safety lock.
- Made of laminated MDF and particleboard, the crisp white finish is accented by the dark gray marble effect around the electric fireplace insert | Dust and wipe with a dry cloth and if needed, a damp cloth may be used sparingly
- Product dimensions – 12.6” D x 69.3” W x 44.7” H | Shelves dimensions (each) – 8.2” D x 17” W x 9.6” H | BTU – 4600 | Power requirement – 120V | Weight limits (lbs.) – Center top shelf (30) / Side top shelves (15 each) / Side shelves (15 each) / Lowest shelves (25 each)
- Fireplace is not originally design, nor was tested to support TVs | Two adults are recommended for proper assembly
Last update on 2020-11-25 at 11:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The typical electric model serves the following purposes:
Keep Rooms Warms
The primary purpose is to keep the room interiors warm. It does so by converting electrical energy into heat waves. It then spreads out the heat waves in the forms of convection and radiation.
Most fireplaces are so designed as to be visually appealing. They can hence be used to enhance the interior décor of the rooms wherein they are installed or mounted. Because of this, they bring along greater returns to the value invested.
Some models are so designed as to enable them to heat water. They either have special chambers where water may be poured or are designed to accommodate extra accessories to allow this to happen.
Many types come with extra shelves or boxes. These can be used to store items such a books and stationery. Some are even large enough to accommodate cutlery! Moreover, some contain spaces where television, home theater systems, and other home entertainment electronics may be fit.
Advantages and Benefits
Below are some of the major advantages and benefits of this kind of fireplaces:
- Cleaner – Given that they do not burn materials to derive their energy, they are comparatively cleaner. Homeowners who opt to utilize them are not confronted with the need to get rid of the debris from these materials. Moreover, they do not produce any fumes also. Because of this, they do not predispose the homeowners to the risks of air pollution.
- Easier to Operate – They are far easier to operate. They come along with switches and knobs. Users are simply required to turn on the switches or knobs and have their desires. They also do not require constant attention and monitoring as is the case with the traditional fireplaces.
- Safer – All electric fireplaces are equipped with a range of safety features that are designed to shield their users from the risks of electrical faults, shocks, and overheating. Because of this, their users are less predisposed to the aforementioned problems.
- Energy Efficient – In all, electric fireplaces are more energy-efficient than their traditional counterparts. This mainly stems from the fact that the amount of electrical power they consume as well as the quantity of heat they produce can both be regulated. They, therefore, exert comparatively less utility bills on the part of their users.
- Long Lasting – These fireplaces are less subjected to the dangers of rusting, dents, corrosion, or excessive heating. Due to this, they generally last longer than their traditional counterparts. They also demand fewer repairs and maintenance.
- Cheaper – The costs of acquiring these fireplaces may be high, granted. However, the long-term costs of maintaining and operating them are way less than those of the traditional fireplaces. This is mainly due to their consumption of less energy and lower maintenance expenses.
What To Look For When Buying An Electric Fireplace
With so many electric fireplaces in the market, prospective users may often be confused as to which one truly suits their unique circumstances. That is why a comprehensive buying guide is by all means vital. Highlighted and discussed below are some of the features to look up for while planning to acquire one:
Types of Electrical Fireplaces
As has already been intimated, electric fireplaces come in various types. The most outstanding of these are explained below:
- Inserts – Electric fireplace inserts are those that are designed to fit into pre-existing fireplaces. They are slimmer, easier to mount, and derive their power from the standard 120V socket outlet. They generate pulsating embers which mimic real flames.
- Freestanding – This is a type of fireplace that does not require to be attached to any other structure for it to operate. They are designed to be on their own. They are bulkier and more cumbersome to move around.
- Wall mount – They are designed to be fixed onto walls for them to be mounted. Most come along with mounting hardware for the job. Others are designed in a hanging model. They are also slimmer and easier to engage.
- TV stand – As the name suggests, these electric fireplaces are accompanied by their own stands that mimic those of the ordinary flat-screen televisions. They can be mounted anywhere as they do not require supporting structures. They are however less bulky than their free-standing counterparts.
- Mantel – A mantel is an extra shelf or extra storage that is fixed in a standard electric fireplace. As such, this type of electric fireplace also provides extra storage spaces over and above merely keeping the room warm.
- Wall-corner – In case the only available space in the room is at the corner, then a wall-corner electric fireplace is the most feasible option. It is basically designed to fit the corners by virtue of its shape and configuration.
- Electric Stoves – They derive their power from mains electricity just like the ordinary electric fireplaces. They, however, feature the styles and appearances of traditional fireplaces. They hence allow their users to enjoy the benefits of both.
- Media Consoles – These are electric fireplaces that are equipped with customized entertainment centers. They provide slots for mounting flat screen televisions and other home entertainment systems.
They come in a variety of sizes. The choice of the preferred electrical fireplace on the basis of this consideration is largely determined by the amount of space available and the mobility of the homeowner. In case the homeowner resides in a rented apartment and is, therefore, more likely to change residence every quite often, then a smaller and more compact appliance is to be preferred, and vice versa.
Electric fireplaces are primarily designed to produce and supply heat to the room interiors. Given that temperatures do fluctuate quite often, the best such appliance has to have the ability to vary the quantity and intensity of the heat produced. This functionality is made possible by the heat settings features. It, therefore, goes without saying that the ideal electric fireplace has to have the heat settings feature.
Technical Features and Specifications
In order to be sure to derive maximum convenience and benefits from these appliances, the fireplace of choice has to possess as many elegant features as possible. Below are but a few of those features:
- Remote Controls – This is a gadget that basically lets the users alter the various settings and control options at the comforts of their seats. They free the users from unnecessary hassles while operating the fireplaces. They can let users turn off the appliance, increase the heating power, and flame speed, among others.
- Realistic Logs – Realistic logs are those features that are designed to mimic the flames that are generated by burning wood and other common sources of fuel. In case the prospective user intends to derive some aesthetic value from the fireplaces over and above warming the rooms, this feature has to be present in the fireplace of choice.
- Flames – Apart from the realistic logs, the nature of the flames also matter. Some fireplaces produce more and attractive kinds of flames than others. The choice of the best electric fireplace on the basis of this consideration largely depends on the precise intended use.
- Brightness Controls – If the fireplace is to serve the dual role of providing light to the room interior, then it has to possess the bright controls feature. This basically lets users control and determines the brightness or dullness of the light produced.
- Adjustable Thermostats – Just like the brightness of lights, the rate at which the heat is generated and released into the room is also important. The best electric fireplace has to have this feature in order to expedite the process of so doing.
This refers to the quantity of heat energy that the electric fireplace of interest is capable of generating or exuding. It is measured degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius. Winters can get terribly cold at times. This is why the fireplace that has the ability to generate as much quantity of heat as possible is a preferable one.
The ideal fireplace has to comprise as many safety features as possible. This is to guarantee the use or homeowner the much-needed safety at all times. Some of the top ‘must have’ electric features include the following:
- Certifications – The heating element as do all the other vital parts of the electric fireplace have to be certified by the relevant certification bodies. This is to ensure that they can operate reliably to both local and international standards. The Underwriters Laboratory (UL) and the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) are the two most common certification bodies.
- Overheat Protections – This is a built-in switch that is designed to detect and automatically turn off the heating element whenever overheating is detected. It thus safeguards the users against the dangers of overheating such as burns and scalds.
- Cool-to-the-touch – This design feature is aimed at shielding users of the electric fireplaces from getting burned whenever the touch the appliance while it is on. This is very necessary especially for those users with small children and pets.
Styles and Finishes
On the whole, electric fireplaces feature distinctive appearances and designs. The most common of these are old-fashioned standalone models, sleek, rustic, and built-in wall units. They are also available in various kinds of attractive surfaces appearances. Among these are white/ivory, Mahogany, Stainless Steel, stone, espresso, black, and oak. It is up to the prospective user to determine which one satisfies his unique tastes and preferences.
It is an open secret that some brands are better off than others. Because of this, it is imperative that the better brand is opted for, over and above, the inferior ones. As of the year 2017, the following were some of the top brands of electric fireplaces: Best Choice Products, Duraflame, Touchstone Onyx, Dimplex, Freestanding, and Narita Media Electric Fireplace. They should be given topmost priority while on the lookout for the best electric fireplace.
An electric fireplace is indeed the ultimate tool to combat the terrible winters, as may be deduced from the foregoing discussions. Indeed, any serious homeowner who wishes to stay comfortable indoors at such times clearly has no choice but to acquire it. Moreover, it does confer several other benefits which, owing to the limitations of space at our disposal, could not be exhaustively discussed.